Last week’s challenge
Begin with the phrase TWELVE YEARS. Substitute an I for a letter and you can spell the names of two garments: a seven-letter word for an item that is more like an everyday item and a four-letter word for an item usually worn on special occasions . What are the words?
Answer: If you change the Y to and I, you can spell SWEATER and VEIL
THIS WEEK’S CATEGORY: NAME THE NFL TEAM
On-air questions: The NFL season kicked off last night and the race is on for teams to be in Glendale, Arizona on February 13e…and the Jets. I laugh. In honor of the new football season, I brought back the NFL teams in other words. I’ll give you some examples, you name the team. As a twist, you also have to name the city that the teams call home.
1. On screen: Ted, Teddy Ruxpin, Baloo, Paddington
2. A USB Type-C cable for Samsung Galaxy S9, a compact 35W dual-port USB-C power adapter for iPhones
3. As seen on a History network series and a later Netflix spin-off subtitled “Valhalla”, characters including Donal Logue as Denmark’s Horik, Jasper Pääkkönen as Halfdan the Black, and Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok, to name a few.
4. During the Biden administration to date, HR5376, the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, HR1319, the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, and House Resolution 598, impeaching Joseph R. Biden for breach on duty, sponsored by Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green
5. Wilford Brimley, Billy the Kidd, John Wesley Hardin
1. From a group of 12, Oceanus, Hyperion and Cronus
2. Culturally speaking, by place of birth: Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, F. Murray Abraham, Luke Wilson, Ethan Hawke
This week’s challenge
Think of two major stories from the sports world over the past year. Both include the same three letters in a different order. What are the words?
1. Chicago (Bears) (And as a bonus, the Bears have only won one Super Bowl, thrashing the Patriots in Super Bowl XX)
2. Los Angeles (Chargers) (The Chargers played one season in LA in 1960 before spending the next 45 years in San Diego before returning to LA in 2017)
3. Minnesota (Vikings) (And the Vikings, which have been around since 1960, have the highest regular-season winning percentage of any NFL team that hasn’t won a Super Bowl)
4. Buffalo (Bills) (And of course the Bills played in the season opener last night against the Rams)
5. Dallas (Cowboys) (The Cowboys won three Super Bowls between 1992 and 1995 but haven’t returned to the big game since despite making 11 playoff appearances)
1. Tennessee (Titans)
2. Houston (Texans)